‘Business Building Futures – Street 2 Feet’ is just one of the many innovative initiatives originated by the team here at The Howarth Foundation supporting the homeless or recently re-housed jobless back into full or part time employment or training.
The concept is simple but effective and supports all participants to the membership scheme, not just the home- less but local businesses, local authorities, the NHS, law enforcement, retail and the local community by offering employment to those who might otherwise be totally reliant upon state benefit, increasingly reliant upon the NHS, are likely to spend their time street begging and potentially become a drain on law enforcement resources by committing crime but also becoming a regular victim of crime. It is a fact that a life on the street is an exceptionally dangerous past time for the vulnerable individual concerned who are regularly subject to abuse and assault.
It is also fact that not everyone you see on the street is genuinely homeless and many chose street begging as a way of life that provides them with (often) a not insignificant income stream. It is also the case that not everyone who finds themselves on the street is ready for employment with many burdened with very complex issues such as drug and alcohol dependency, mental health problems and long term social exclusion and isolation.
The question is how do we identify those who are ready to take ‘The Next Step’ back into mainstream society and employment? There are many charitable organisations in the region working with those with dependency or mental health issues ‘sweeping’ the streets daily to signpost service users to the appropriate agency. It is with this type of professional body that we have formed strong, proactive relationships who are able to refer suitable candidates to our charity. It then falls upon us to match that individual with suitable employment from our membership of businesses.
If as a business you are looking for cheap labour or unlimited resource to the labour market avoiding recruitment and advertising costs, this scheme is not for you. We are looking for businesses who care and who want to work with us, the local authorities and organisations giving someone a real chance of what we tend to take for granted i.e. a home and a job, whilst at the same time enhancing your Corporate Social Responsibility by offering genuine employment opportunities and support to individuals who are desperate to work.
Should you agree to join this scheme and are able to offer employment you may need to spend more time with your new employee in areas of induction and support and not every employment relationship will be a success story, but The Howarth Foundation will be there to support both you and your new employee every step along the journey.
Andy Howarth, CEO The Howarth Foundation
OUR PROMISE TO YOU…
• At the start of your membership you will receive a welcome pack containing your unique membership number and formal certificate of membership.
• Your organisation will be added to The Howarth Foundation website on our ‘Business’ Building Futures’ page promoting the fact that you are a member of this socially aware group of progressive and like minded businesses committed to a sustainable and long-term commitment of corporate social responsibility.
• Throughout your membership you will receive invitations to bi-annual lunches and meet with other members of the ‘Business Building Futures’
family where you will have the opportunity to network with businesses from across the region.
• The Howarth Foundation will promote your business on social media and monthly e-shots that will go out to over 2,000 contacts plus provide PR on your fundraising events/employment opportunities through out the course of your membership.
• We will provide a dedicated point of contact to o er fundraising ideas and initiatives and how you could o er employment and training.
• You will potentially save on recruitment costs.
• If you employ one of our service users we will mentor that individual throughout employment and advise you on your rights as an employer.
• The Howarth Foundation will support you as an employer in all matters relating to HR, Employment Law, and Health & Safety and safeguarding issues in respect of any and all individuals that you employ through this scheme.
YOUR PROMISE TO US…
• We would look to your organisation to o er employment to at least one of our service users who has been thoroughly vetted and who we believe is genuinely ready and able to take ‘The Next Step’ in to employment and who we will mentor for a suitable period ensuring a smooth transition from ‘Street 2 Feet’ offering support not only to the individual but to
you as a caring business.
• Employment can be full time or part time, permanent or temporary and we will support you at all stages.
AND / OR
• We would look to your organisation to arrange fundraising events per year aiming to generate at least £500 in unrestricted support.
• We would be on hand to offer advice and support as to the type of event that might be suitable to your organisation such as e.g. bake sale.
We would look to you to o er at least one employment opportunity and provide details such as job description, salary and part time or full time work.
Fundraising & Membership
Your membership fee is £250.00 per year to be paid upfront. To help start you off with fundraising we will provide you with a box of grandma’s handmade tea bag holders for sale to your start, customers and clients.
We would hope that you could achieve a minimum fundraising target of £500 per year.
Ideas of events that you may want to run…
• Dress down days – 1 day per quarter, charging £2 per employee.
• Bake sale – 1 every quarter, charging £1.50 per cake/bun.
• Sponsored walk / bike ride/ skydive / head shave etc.
• Coffee morning.
• Guessing games such as the amount of sweets in a jar, weight of a baby.
• Curry and quiz night.
• Give up something for a week e.g. chocolate / alcohol.
• Bring and buy sale.
• Sleep rough for one night.
• Swear box.
The list above is not exhaustive & you are more than welcome to create your own ideas for fundraising events!